Directory Sync Tool Overview
The Directory Sync Tool works with the free edition of Google Apps™ or Google Apps™ for Business, Education or Government. The tool provides secure directory synchronization between an organization’s authoritative user directory and both the ‘Postini’ Directory which supports the Google™ Message Security, Google Message Discovery and Google Message Encryption applications as well as the ability to provision users into the Google Apps Directory. All directory updates are pushed to the Google™ cloud via HTTPS. Sync updates can be run on an automated schedule. No firewall ports need to be opened and there is no external access to your authoritative directory.
Unique Product Capabilities
- Single product for user provisioning to both the ‘Postini’ and Google Apps Directory
- Directory Sync from the Google Apps Directory to any LDAP Directory
- Synchronizes with Microsoft Active Directory, Sun LDAP directory, Lotus Domino, GroupWise, and other LDAP Directories
- Highly Secure using SSL/LDAP directory queries and https connections
- Can be configured to support proxy servers and proxy authentication if necessary.
- Can be scheduled to run without operator intervention.
- Supports the Google add, delete, modify and suspend user commands
- Supports exception lists to exclude users and groups from the synchronization process
- Provides audit logs for all sync jobs; plus automatic log rotation
- Supports Delete Protection using user-specified thresholds
- Supports Cluster Accounts to minimize license counts
The Directory Sync Tool has been tested successfully with Java v1.6.0_x. The Directory Sync Tool requires 10MB of available disk space to install the application and can utilize as much as 1GB of RAM based on default java heap settings. Java Runtime Environment 6.0, Standard Edition requires approximately 30MB of disk space. It is recommended that additional disk space (up to 1GB) be planned to allow for log and database archival.